Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Introduction

2010 is the start of a new decade, and for me, a new project.
I'm a New York writer who works with my photographer husband.
Recent stories for an Italian womens magazine have been on Chuck Close, Alex Katz, Kiki Smith, Eric Fischl .. My last piece for artnet was on the wondrous Dorothy Iannone, and that was months ago.
My poetry teaching residencies have dwindled down to one Special Ed. School in Brooklyn's bowels. Goodbye So. Bronx and East Harlem elementary schools.
Blessings to Brooklyn for keeping me demi-employed.
Thus, Artocracia.
December whizzed by with highlights; Deitch gallery director Nicola Vassell opened her Soho loft for a reading'Shamnen and Showmen” where I read, along with Vincent Katz, Jeff Wright, Anthony Hayden Guest, Jane LeCroy, Tavi Field and Samson Courhy all the way from Montreal) Art by Francesco Clemente, Ella Etrog, Pola Sieverding, Rashaad Newsome, Raqib Shaw, Zilvinas Kempinas, and more, curated by Nicola and Karline Moeller.
Going to the New York City Ballet “Nutcracker” with a thousand third and fourth graders.
The Man Ray Show at the Jewish Museum, magnificently curated by Mason Klein.
The Denyse Thomasos show at Lennon Weinberg.
Panettone brought back from Brescia, and devoured Christmas Day.
Two artists I've recently interviewed are Andres Serrano and Terence Koh.
Both the photographer and multimedia wunderkind are charismatic and articulate downtowners.
Two glimpses of two important artists.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails